Thursday, July 16, 2009

It's up to me, Part D-I-NY:
New York
(the Metropolitan Opera)

The Metropolitan Opera House
Photo: Caroline Digonis/Metropolitan Opera

The Metropolitan Opera House is a stunning building within the larger complex of the Lincoln Center for the Performing Arts (or simply Lincoln Center). Aaron and I would’ve taken a photo ourselves, but there must have been several perfomances happening in Lincoln Center that night because it was very crowded and impossible to get a good picture. Flanking the lobby are two massive paintings by Marc Chagall, titled The Triumph of Music and The Sources of music, commissioned for the Center when it was newly built, and each measuring 30’ x 36’.






A portion of the ceiling in the lobby is gold leafed, lending a very rich effect, further to the red velvet walls. I admit there was some wall rubbing, bordering on frottage, happening.

We would’ve liked to take a few pictures of the auditorium, but that was promptly forbidden by the ushers. You’ll just have to click here instead.

I brought the fiery crinoline I wore at our wedding, to wear with a purple and red silk scarf that I fashioned into a top with pins. Aaron’s loving comments on how beautiful I was, and that people were staring at me from all around the lobby deflected my attention from a rumbly stomach and the lone brownie I’d had during intermission. I love him. He always knows what to say.

“Cavalleria Rusticana” at the Metropolitan Opera, as seen in the New York Times.

In retrospect, Cav/Pag was definitely one of the highlights of our trip. Lush costumes and sets easily satisfied our voracious event designer eyes. I’d love to go back to New York in 2012 and see Lepage’s new production of Wagner’s Ring cycle.)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Related Posts with Thumbnails